Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Puenta La Reina

I managed to find my way to one of these funny internet booths two days in a row, so I thought I would just post a quick note. The internet seems to be pretty common and we are able to get it at almost all of the hostels. The weather is finally getting hot and we will probably have to start walking earlier or taking a siesta in the middle of the day, as is the Spanish custom. It also means that we can start using out tent.

We have been staying in hostels exclusively so far. They are pretty cheap, about 5 or 6 euros a night per person (which is less than I pay in rent in L.A.), and relatively comfortable although there are often 20 people in the room with you. The showers have mostly been nice, with a few exceptions.

We haven´t been camping yet because the weather has been too cold but also, I think, because we like the community of the hostels and want to make some pilgrim friends, perhaps those who also tent, before we ostracize ourselves from pilgrim society. It looks promising - there are a few groups with tents pitched in the hostel´s backyard tonight.

I had a request to illuminate how we do laundry on the road. The short answer is that we don´t. But don´t worry, we occassionally wash our clothes in the sink, using body wash. It may not be pretty but it gets the job done. Some of the hostels we are beginning to see sometimes offer a pay laundry machine and dryer, but you kind of need to get a big group together to make it worth it - we don´t even have enough to fill a washer.

Going to go get some dinner now - we haven´t eaten much besides granola bars and peanuts all day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Heather-
It sounds great- how did you manage to keep from getting big, fat, juicy blisters? Or did you. I'm enjoying the "blog." Take care of yourself.

Bev K

ron stewart said...

Hi Heather,FUNTASTIC ADVENTURE! I am having some flash backs of my trip to Europe long,long time ago! I had 2 1/2 months but with a 2 month EU-rail pass. I stayed in more than a few Hostels and loved the San Sebastion area. I am impressed with the walking and your not religious comment... I bet you are experincing more than a few spiritual moments.Glad Joni turned me on to your trek...Ron