Tuesday, June 5, 2007

4 days in...

Hello from Cizur Menor, a small town outside of Pamplona. Today was our fourth official day of trekking and we appear to have finally made it through the mountains. Now we have the right to brag forever about how we once hiked through the Pyrenees. The weather has just gotten quite hot and we seem to have come down to the agricultural plains.

The pilgrim experience has been a rather communal one, much to my delight. We can spot each other on the street, even without huge backpacks, thanks to the ¨pilgrim hobble¨ and the pained grimace that come with each step.

Most of the pilgrims seem to be from Europe, especially Spain, France, and Germany, with a smattering of Italians and Brits. Americans seem to be among the least common. Pair this with the fact that we are young and that we do not wear hiking books or carry a guide book, and we are quite a novelty.

It is really wonderful to hear all of the different languages being spoken, although it does make me feel that my skills are less than adequate in that department.

The walk has been very beautiful, with lots of quaint villages and mountain vistas. Unfortunately that also means that Internet has been rather sparse, and expensive when I can find it. For 1 euro today I was able to buy 18 minutes in which to do everything, and I regret I can´t write more. Soon, I promise.

Until next time...

No comments: