Sunday, June 10, 2007

In Logrono

First, in response to a few questions:

Its hard to say exactly how warm it gets because I only ever see the temp in celcius and I´m not sure of the conversion, but I think it can get to about 85 or 90 in the afternoon, with not a lot of humidity, but it feels pretty hot when youre walking for 7 hours with 17 pounds on your back. A lot of the walk is through plains now, too, which means there isnt much shade.

We walk about 20-25 kilometers a day, on average. I´m not actually sure of what the conversion is. It works out to about 7 hours of walking usually, since there are usually hills and we break a lot.

The Pyrenees were very beautiful. The pass we went through was something over 1400 meters high. It was actually kind of scary when we were passing through on the first day because it was very rainy and foggy and we couldn´t see very far in front of us - it seemed like it might go on forever. A lot of what we passed through was very pastoral and green - it looked like I imagine Ireland must. The views were also incredible. Because of the rain the trail was very muddy, but in general the mountains were wooded and not very rocky.

It was a difficult climb, but frankly not as bad as I thought. I had heard a lot about how it is one of the worst parts of the walk and had been worried, but it was really fine. I just take it slow and take lots of breaks. One thing was that we didn´t have much food - we didn´t realize that there is often nothing for many kilometers. We are trying to learn from this (we carry some granola bars and peanuts just in case) but still slip up sometimes.

In other news, we slept in a field last night. During a rain storm. More on that later, as my time is up.

No comments: