Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Too close

Sorry it's been so long since my last post - the internet has been eluding my grasp lately. This may have something to do with the fact that we have been taking it entirely too easy the past few days and usually roll into our destination city at around 8 or 9 - leaving little time for finding internet.

Today Kate and I arrived in the town of Sarria, which is in the Spanish region of Galicia, and are staying only 111.5 kilometers from Santiago! We are having a hard time believing how we can already be so close. I speak for both of us when I say that we are disappointed, but we have resolved not to dwell on the fact that we should be in Santiago - having covered approximately 770 kilometers (depending on who you talk to) - in a week or less!

The last time I wrote from the Spanish meseta - the agricultural plains. We spent quite a bit of time trudging through what was less that spectacular scenery, although I actually didn't realize how boring it was until a few days ago, when we climbed back into the mountains. The views have been gorgeous, which I suppose makes up for the fact that I have to climb a lot more hills. And don't let the fact that I am walking 800 km deceive you - I am NOT a fan of the hills.

Kate and I are spending our first night alone in many weeks - which is kind of a strange experience. We got really lazy and fell a day behind one group and yesterday another friend had to leave in order to make it back to his graduation in Liverpool by tomorrow. It turns out that it takes a lot more effort to entertain ourselves - hence the quest for internet.

We have been doing our best to savor the culinary delights Spain and Galicia have to offer. The night before last we had a wonderful Galician meal - a delicious Galician soup (the tastyness is surprising considering that the primary ingredients are potatoes and cabbage), a pot-roast type meat, and a almond-y cake - that was brought out to us on huge family style plates. Mmmm. Needless to say, I may be the first person ever to walk this far and end up gaining weight.

No comments: