Sunday, June 24, 2007

So I just realized

I just figured out that people have been commenting on this and I may have been kind of rude in not responding - sorry! I wasn´t ignoring you or anything, I just figured I would be notified if anyone commented. Anyway, glad to know you´re all following my adventure.

There are tons of "old people" since it is actually mainly old people. We are a rarity here, which we didn´t necessarily expect. Kate and I get on exceptionally well, especially considering we spend every waking moment together. It was good that we knew each other so well and already are used to living with each other, but it also helps that we are both just generally pretty easy going. If there was anything we didn´t know about each other before, we certainly know it now.

We did have a problem with blisters and with general pain in general, but our bodies have finally adapted somewhat. Kate´s shoes were so bad that we had to get her some new ones (or rather we "rescued" the shoes a French woman had left behind at a hostel) and now her feet are much better. One of our friends did the Camino before and taught us how to kill the blisters - with a needle and thread - and its quite effective. Often at night we have a session of "foot surgery" during which we tend to each other´s feet. It´s quite sweet, really.

Another problem we had at the beginning was general body pain, especially since we weren´t exactly what one would call "in shape" when we began. In fact, we talked to many people who were shocked that we would attempt something like this without being particularly outdoorsy or athletic people. In the end we were all in enormous amounts of pain - even those sporty people. The third day was the roughest - stairs were nearly impossible. We could recognize other pilgrims by the pain on their faces. It was a beautiful thing. Thankfully our bodies finally realized that there would be no mercy and are rarely very sore.

Don´t worry - there will be plenty of photos. I already about several hundred and all of us plan to share our photos at the end - so multiply that by 3 or 4 times. I anticipate it will be rather overwhelming.

Kate and I figure we will get have several years worth of good cocktail party stories out of this and have begun practicing. "Did I ever tell you about the time I walked across Spain? Yes? Well let me tell you again..."

No comments: