Monday, November 8, 2010

Tilt-Shifted San Diego

Note: the following post will look a little weird until I redesign the blog. I haven't changed the dimensions since 2007 and evidently time has passed and technology has changed (I know, it came as a surprise to me, too) and I can't post the pictures in the (large) size that I want without making some changes to the template. I can't guarantee when this will happen though, since posting this will inevitably count as my productivity for the week (month?) and I probably won't surface again until Christmas.

---

The cold, rainy weather lately has left me with a lot of free time on my hands. Last weekend I attended the Greater UK Model Making Symposium/Conference 2010 (twitter #GUKMMSC2010) and had a really fantastic time networking with my fellow model-makers while eating teeny tiny sausages and workshopping topics like "Let's Go GREEN: Maintaining the Craft in the 21st Century and Beyond", "Social Networking: Bringing Model-Making to a New Generation" and "Peak Oil: The Rising Price of Tiny Plastic Figures".  Once I got home I was so jazzed I decided to put my new-found model-making skillz to work on some beautiful scenes of sunny San Diego to take my mind off the dreary weather.

That, or I tried to teach myself to make tilt-shift fakes in Photoshop. You decide. Click to view full size. 

The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
El Prado and the House of Hospitality
A wider view of the same. I couldn't decide which I liked better.
Wider again! Can you tell I know how to crop? Oh yes, just enough to be dangerous.
Alcazar Gardens and the House of Charm
San Diego Museum of Art, a bit of the Old Globe, and a hint of the Botanical Building
This isn't Balboa Park, but I still like it. The Notorious Seals.
This didn't actually work that well because I wasn't high enough, ergo there isn't a background to blur.
But I figured I would post it anyway since it ain't my bandwidth.
Pretty cool, huh?

No comments: