Friday, October 24, 2008

Baracking the Vote

Hey everyone! I have been meaning to post here for the past few days about my newest adventure but I just haven't had the time at all because I've been so busy out here in Pueblo, Colorado, working for the Obama campaign.

I arrived in Pueblo tuesday morning after a looong drive across California, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado and was put right to work. In my first day "on the job" I canvassed door to door, phoned voters, painted signs for a rally and entered tons of data into the computer. My second day Joe Biden came to town, conveniently on a nearly freezing and windy day, for a rally so I spent all day on my feet running around organizing that and then all night recruiting volunteers from the data we collected on the attendees. The last few days I have become something of a "floater", helping out the staffers that need it around the office, mostly. Yesterday I helped out the out of state volunteer coordinator and today I've been with one of the field organizers (these are people who organize and are responsible for a specific area of "turf").

It's only been a few days but it feels like much longer, probably because all of my days start at 9 and go well past midnight and really couldn't be much fuller. I'm not sure what it is I do all day, but the time somehow goes by. I havent had a proper meal since my first day - mainly I just eat whatever donated food I can find in our back room. And (un)fortunately there is a bakery owned by huge Obama supporters right around the corner from our office so we have a lot of cookies around.

I can't even believe I found the time to write this. Thankfully my field organizer is extremely busy at the moment calling people (which is what I should have been doing), so I better go now... More soon, hopefully.

No comments: