Sunday, May 25, 2008

Escaping the Rain

Hello everyone and thanks for all of my birthday wishes! I had a pretty good day, although pretty "normal" (just how I like it) and had Galician octopus for dinner. It seems like it's been weeks since it stopped raining in Madrid and, since I've been left to my own devices for a few days, I decided to take off and find some sunshine. So here I am in Granada, which is in Andalusia, a region of southern Spain. Granada was once the largest and most powerful city in Europe (when it served as a Moorish capital). Now it is more of a sleepy university city but it still has plenty of history, most notable the Alhambra, a huge castle/fortress/palace compound. It's going to be a little pricey to get in tomorrow but I'm going to have to suck it up. I heard that it was almost considered one of the 7 wonders of the world but didn't quite make it, so I guess you could say it's the eighth wonder.

I'll post more when I get home on Tuesday and have time to post pictures and go into more detail. I'm on a public hostel computer right now, so I should be brief. Thinking of you all...

No comments: