Friday, October 19, 2007

Details

Hello all -

Today I thought I would try to introduce you to my home.

The smallest room ever
This is an, admittedly poor, photo I took attempting to show the teeny-tinyness of my room. Unfortunately, even when sitting in the very corner, there isn't much to see except for the wall. On the left you can see my window, which is very nice and almost half the size of the room. Next to the window is the bed, followed by a teeny dresser and finally, the door.


Next up we have the kitchen - where all the magic happens.


The apartment is set up rather unconventionally from an American point of view. The front door opens onto a long hallway. The first door you come across is mine. The second goes to the kitchen. To your left at the end of the hallway is the bathroom. Walking straight would take you into another bedroom, the door to the right opens into the living room. The last bedroom comes off the living room.


We have a very lovely balcony, which I can imagine would be intolerable in the summer because of the direct and unceasing sun. However, it is quite nice during this lovely fall weather.

The balcony looks down on the plaza, which has a fountain and a playground. It's quite the evening hang out for both the very old and the very young.



This is the building as seen from across the plaza. My balcony is the one in the right corner of the photo - top floor, kind of behind the trees.

Moving a block south, we come to the great Calle Alcalá.


I am told it is the longest street in Madrid. It must be because I can walk along it all the way from here, on the outskirts, to the center. It's quite a hopping street. In this photo you can (sort of) see the Metro sign - this is my stop, Pueblo Nuevo.

In other news... I haven't started working yet, although I finally broke down today and started looking up English schools. I'm going to go out of my mind sitting in this teeny room otherwise. Looks like I could make decent money IF 1) I had papers to work legally 2) had a certificate and/or 3) had any experience. SO what will probably happen is I will have the worst, most inconvenient job ever. At first anyway. Haha. It's all part of the adventure. I am also going to try to write for some english language magazines in the area (maybe, hopefully), but I kind of doubt they will actually PAY.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Let's just hope they don't have an Minutemen in Spain...

Looks like a beautiful little town; let us know if you have any luck with the job (I, at least, won't sick the immigration police on you).

Fire sucks.