Monday, May 28, 2007

The Beginning

Well, here I am. I've made it. And assuming that Kate didn't miss her plane or anything, we are well on our way to beginning the walk, but still at least 3 or four days away. My bag is already very heavy...

The plane ride was relatively uneventful, except for the unfortunate fact that the food made me sick, which made the flight significantly less enjoyable. But it's all part of the adventure, I suppose. That was around the time I started cursing the vulnerability of our bodies, wondering if this was a good idea after all, and generally wishing I was at home watching Law and Order.

Once I was able to get some fresh air, see the tiny European cars and was once again riding the rails, I felt much better. I made it to the hostel, but not before spending most of my money on transportation. What they say about London being expensive - it's true. The fact that a dollar is worth less than half of a pound also does not help.

Not to be immodest, but after one day I am a fairly well accomplished tube rider - that's the subway to you yanks. Since I had trouble justifying the £4 - $8, at least - to ride the tube from the train station to the hostel, but also had no idea how to walk there (and, quite honestly - and ironically - had no desire to do so). So instead I sprang for the day pass and resolved to ride enough to make the price seem less like extortion.

After checking in at the hostel and drinking a bowl of chicken soup I made from a packet and a cup of freezedried store brand coffee, I went off to see some sights, since Kate probably isn't really into acting like a tourist. I found a free walking tour and met up with that group.

Our guide was a cheerful Londoner, probably younger than me, and I actually learned quite a lot about the city's history (especially considering the scarcity of my previous knowledge). After 3 1/2 hours of standing in the cold rain - during which time I discovered to my delight that my new jacket seems to be very water resistant - it was time to come back to the hostel and get out of the inhospitable weather.

Right now I am sitting here and counting the money I have left - £9 41p - and considering whether it would be prudent to eat dinner or not. I do have three packets of delicious chicken water left over...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm diggin' your blog. Can't wait for this next installment, as I am living vicariously though you. And, I think this trip is a perfectly reasonable adventure upon graduation. Fight on!

Unknown said...

through you, yes that's right